Thursday 13 September 2007

SEASIDE SHUFFLE


A DAY BY THE SEA
- POSTSCRIPT -


Shortly after writing the blog about my idyllic day by the sea circumstances changed dramatically. Whilst skipping from stone to stone crossing a stream on the beach at Spanish Point I stretched too far and tore the muscle in the calf of my right leg ! The pain was instantly excruciating and I could hear the tear which was a terrifying sound. As I was down on the beach I had to delicately inch my way back up to the road over stones and climb up a sand dune. Luckily my friend Tony was with me and he packed up the gear. Painfully I eventually got back to the car and drove to a pharmacist in Miltown Malbay for painkillers. Thank God for Neurofen Plus which allowed me to drive back home in a Codeine induced cloud of feel good!
The following morning (Saturday) I went to the A and E at the Regional hospital and left after seeing the doctor with a support stocking and a prescription for Diffene. So for the last week ,I have been off work, confined to the house ,resting with my leg up. Such are the joys of skipping on a Clare beach on a sunny September day. Still, I wouldn’t change a thing, the unfortunate end of the outing was more than compensated for by the other delights of which I have previously written. And it could have been much worse,a torn muscle is one thing, a torn ligament or tendon would have been ten times more serious.I’ve written this piece in the interest of balance, my day by the sea,like life had sunshine and shadow,light and shade but always underneath are the Everlasting Arms (Deoteronomy 33:27)


Gerard O'Shea

No comments: