Saturday 29 March 2008

HOLLYWOOD LIGHT

Denzel Washington is one of the finest actors working in Hollywood today. Among his films are The Pelican Brief (1993), Malcolm X (1992) and The Great Debaters (2007) In this recent interview he speaks candidly about his life and his faith.

MY INNER PEACE

On Being A Spiritual Person > “I read the Bible everyday. I’m in my second pass-through now, in the Book of John. My pastor told me to start with the New Testament, so I did, maybe two years ago. Worked my way through it, then through the Old Testament. Now I’m back in the New Testament. It’s better the second time around…I think I’m going to instill it (spirituality) in everything I do, like this conversation. It’s who I am. It goes with me wherever I go. Understand that it’s something bigger than making a film, even American Gangster. When I met Frank Lucas (the drug kingpin the movie is based on), he said, ‘Do this and win an Oscar.’ I’m like, ‘Frank, I’m not in it for that.’ I found it interesting that he paid for his crimes with jail time, and now he’s paying with his body, which has sort of betrayed him. It’s important for me to tell that part of the story. There are consequences”…On His Father > “A gentleman. A real gentleman. A devoutChristian. A spirit-filled man, hardworking, low-key, consistent.”…On The Secret Of His 25 Year Marriage > “Do whatever your wife tells you. Yes, dear. And breathe.”…And The Hard Times > “You have faith. And discipline as well. You have to work at it. I was just reading today: One day you’re going to have to walk with God when you can’t understand where He’s taking you. (Laughs). Your techniques, skill set and connections won’t get you through. So don’t try this on your own.He’s got you covered. My faith helps me understand that circumstances don’t dictate my happiness, my inner peace.”…Dealing With Fame > “It ain’t about me. The one thing for me, understanding how I understand God, is that it keeps me humble, keeps the pronouns out of the picture. I’ve been given certain abilities, and I look at it this way: What are you going to do with what you have? Who are you going to lift up ?”…On Mortality > “As the old folks used to say,’You are born to dead’. It’s a part of life. So you might as well get used to it.” Things That Make Him Proud > “God, family, work. When our children were born, I was like, ‘My work used to be my life. Now my work is making a living.’ They’re life. My children are. So what I am proudest of is all of the above. In that order…On Reading > “Books? I don’t have time. Except for the Bible, the No. 1 bestseller.”




.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He is a great man and seems so down to earth.