Monday 28 May 2007

KAHLIL GIBRAN


TALES FROM THE FRONT PORCH !
Continuing with selections from my dog-eared,sun tanned Front Porch Collection,this is a poem by the Lebanese poet Kahlil Gibran.Born in 1883,Gibran produced many works of poetry and philosophy writng in a dramatic Biblical-type style.His most famous work is The Prophet which became a cult classic amongst the Sixties Flower Power generation. The piece below is taken from A Treasury Of Kahlil Gibran,and is a gentle evocation of an ocean wave.


SONG OF THE WAVE

The strong shore is my beloved

And I am his sweetheart.

We are at last united by love,

And then the moon draws me from him.

I go to him in haste and depart

Reluctantly, with many little farewells.

I steal swiftly from behind the blue horizon,

To cast the silver of my foam upon the gold of his sand,

And we blend in melted brilliance.

I quench his thirst and submerge his heart;

He softens my voice and subdues my temper

. At dawn I recite the rules of love upon his ears,

And he embraces me longingly.

At eventide I sing to him the song of hope,

And then print smooth kisses upon his face;

I am swift and fearful, but he is quiet, patient, and thoughtful.

His broad bosom soothes my restlessness.

As the tide comes we caress each other,

When it withdraws, I drop to his feet in prayer.

Many times have I lifted drowning souls

And carried them tenderly to my beloved shore.

He gives them strength as he takes mine.

Many times have I stolen gems from the depths

And presented them to my beloved shore.

He takes them in silence,

But still I give for he welcomes me ever.

Alas! Sleeplessness has weakened me!

But I am a lover, and the truth of love is strong.

I may be weary, but I shall never die.


KAHLIL GIBRAN

1 comment:

All Blog Spots said...

sweet blog, keep the good work going :)