Wednesday 18 July 2007

LET ME DO IT NOW

Stephen Grellet

~ I expect to pass through this world but once.

Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now.

Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~


These words were spoken by Stephen Grellet,a prominent French Quaker missionary(1773-1855). He was born at Limoges the son of a counsellor to King Louis XVI, and raised as a Roman Catholic. Sentenced to be executed during the French Revolution,he fled to the U.S.A and came under the influence of Quaker writings by William Penn and George Fox. He involved himself in extensive missionary work throughout North America and much of Europe. He was received by rulers and dignitaries such as Pope Pius VII,Czar Alexander I, and the Kings of Spain and Prussia. Grellet's heart though was always with the poor and dispossessed, and he encouraged many reforms in educational policies and in hospital and prison conditions. In 1811 he visited Ireland and held meetings throughout the length and breadth of the country,below are selected extracts from his memories of that visit... -GOSh.-


MEMORIES OF STEPHEN GRELLET


The 17th of Eleventh month, 1811. Accompanied by my valued friend, John Robinson of Glasgow, and William Hall, we left for Donaghadee in Ireland. We had a short passage, and came pretty directly to Mile Cross, where there is a small meeting of Friends, which we attended in the evening. Proceeding to Belfast, I was at meeting there in silence, among Friends; but was much enlarged in a meeting in the evening with the inhabitants. I went thence to Antrim and Lisburn. At a public meeting in the latter place, I was brought under very deep exercise and oppression by the feeling of a spirit of infidelity. O what darkness it brings! But sinking deep before the Lord, I was brought to feel the quickening influences of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus, and enabled to minister to that large congregation, exalting the name and offices of Christ…There was great solemnity over the meeting, under which it concluded. I heard afterwards, that about twelve clergymen were present. There was then an assembly of the clergy at Lisburn, and these had come to the meeting. There were some also present who were once members and ministers of our Society, and a few years past went out with Hannah Barnard into infidelity.
I then had meetings with Friends in the province of Ulster, and came to Lurgan to attend that Quarterly Meeting. Owing to the troubles occasioned by the anti-christian spirit which had extensively prevailed in that province, most of the Ministers and Elders in those parts had withdrawn from Christian fellowship with us, and the Quarterly Meeting for Ministers and Elders, had been suspended twelve years. It was now held again…
I then went towards Dublin, having meetings on the way at Rich-hill, Grange, Charlemont, Cootehill, &c. I reached Dublin in time to be at their Monthly Meeting. Bodily indisposition detained me in the house a few days, being a good deal worn by the continued exertions I have had to make since my arrival in England.
I left Dublin on the 14th for Rathangan, where I had two meetings, the next First-day; both were proving seasons, as also that next day at Edenderry. The three succeeding days I was at Mountmelick, attending several meetings, at the last of which the Gospel spring was opened in a refreshing manner, to the contriting of many present…
The next places I visited and had meetings at, were Mountrath, Knock, and Roscrea. At the last place the soldiers from the barracks, with their officers, came very generally to an appointed meeting. The next meeting was at Ballitore. O the agony that I endured there! A close, searching testimony was given me to bear among them. O Lord! thou hast seen the depth of my distress, and in thy mercy and power, thou hast magnified thy name. A fig leaf covering cannot hide from thy presence. At the Quarterly Meeting at Carlow close excercise attended me…
1st of First month, 1812. At Kilconner, and in the evening at Newtown Barry. This was a very precious meeting, and was attended by many of the Roman Catholics. The Gospel dropped down like dew upon the tender grass. Many minds were reached, and tears were shed.
On my way to Waterford, I had meetings at Ballintore, Cooladine, Enniscorthy, Wexford, and Ross. Some of these were solemn, baptizing seasons. Many of the soldiers and Roman Catholics attended, some of whom had been threatened, if they went, with having to do penance by going round their church on their bare knees; but after meeting, they told Friends, that for the privilege of being at such meetings, they would be willing to go round on their knees ten times instead of once…
I came to Cork on the 15th, under great weight on my spirit, being sensible that bonds and afflictions awaited me in that city. ..
From Cork I went to Fermoy, where I had a quiet and good meeting among the Roman Catholics; no Friend resides in the place. Then I had a few other meetings among that people, on my return to Waterford, where I staid a few days, visiting Friends in their families and having some public service…
The meetings at Clonmel and Carrick, both with Friends and others, were particularly owned by the good Master. Blessed be the Lord, he commandeth the
winds and the waves, and they obey him. I frequently feel much for the Roman Catholics; there are some tender minds among them, who have sensibly felt the influence of the Spirit of God, operating upon them…
At Limerick, I had close service; besides meetings with Friends, I had several with the inhabitants in separate parts of the town, particularly among the poor. Oh, what misery and wretchedness I have beheld there, as in most parts of this nation! My heart is made sad indeed, under the sense of the bodily suffering, and of the darkness and depravity of many of the inhabitants.
On my way to Moate, I had several meetings, in places where no Friends reside. They were generally quiet, but at some of them I narrowly escaped being severely wounded, by stones thrown at me from out of doors, whilst engaged in proclaiming the truths of the glorious Gospel of Christ …
From Moate I went to Athlone, and thence to Connaught, and into Leinster province again. In Connaught I had meetings in places where Friends had not been before. Notwithstanding the persuasions of the priests, in many places, the people would come, and seriously attend to the Christian testimony given me to bear among them, to turn them from darkness to Christ the true light, that enlighteneth every man that cometh into the world, by whom alone we have redemption, and without whom none can come to the Father…
3rd of Fourth month. My mind now feeling clear from further services for the present in Ireland, and Wales being presented with much clearness, as the next field for Gospel labour into which I am to enter, I have taken my passage for Holyhead. We have had a precious, solemn meeting with Friends of Dublin, this morning, With reverent gratitude I have to acknowledge to my dear Master's love and tender mercy
towards his poor unworthy servant. He has been my help and strength every way.


Stephen Grellet


You can read the complete book online at






3 comments:

Tony said...

The Dew has drenched me once again with a desire to be better than I am and all I hope is that this desire is not lost on the journey to reality.

Anonymous said...

What a fine legacy the Quakers have,a pity they have strayed from the Bible path in recent years.

Anonymous said...

Quakerism nowadays should join the list of dangerous truth bending cults. They live off a rich legacy of men such as Grellet,but today mostly amongst the Friends Christs gospel is nowhere to be seen !