Friday 10 August 2007

BALLYLONGFORD HERE WE COME...

The Flight of the Ballyboggin Boys

Well its that time of year again when bro and I head off on our annual pilgrimage to the Brendan Kennelly Arts Festival at Ballylongford in County Kerry. Last year Tony and I went there for the first time together (since childhood holidays),and as well as enjoying the festival reconnected with some of Fathers remaining relations, his sister Margaret and nephew Patsy. The O'Sheas hailed from the tucked away rural idyll of Sallowglen, remembered by me from Summer holidays spent there and the regular jaunt on the donkey and cart with the irascible Uncle Dennis to the creamery.While he slipped in to the local for 'one or two', I was left slurping on my Supersplit bribe with Uncle Dennis solemn refrain etched into my head "not a word to your Auntie Cathy,mind!" Ever the obedient child I never spilled the beans on him and besides the prospect of a lolly ice-cream was a rare enough one in those days! So to mark our excursion,this beautiful childhood memory by Brendan Kennelly of his own father...GOsh.




I See You Dancing, Father


No sooner downstairs after the night’s rest

And in the door

Than you started to dance a step

in the middle of the kitchen floor


And as you danced you whistled.

You made your own music

Always in tune with yourself.


Well nearly always, anyway.

You’re buried now

In Lislaughtin Abbey

And whenever I think of you


I go back beyond the old man

Mind and body broken

To find the unbroken man.

It is the moment before the dance begins,


Your lips are enjoying themselves

Whistling an air.

Whatever happens or cannot happen

In the time I have to spare

I see you dancing, father.


Brendan Kennelly

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The best festival in Ireland I think