Wednesday 9 January 2008

LIVE FROM THE MOUNTAIN

Steven Biel in Israel
.
THE SKIS OF HERMON !
.
This is selected from a blog by Steven Biel who is currently studying in Israel and seeing as much of the Biblical landscape as possible. His visit to Mount Hermon is of special interest to Dew readers and I hope to share more of Stevens insights into the Holy Land in future entries...You can check out Stevens further adventures at www.stevenbiel.blogspot.com
.
I was able to visit Caesarea on the Mediterranean coast, a town built by Herod the Great in mid-first century B.C. The look out from the top of Mt. Carmel (the place Elijah battled the prophets of Baal) and Nazareth (from the cliff where Jesus may have escaped from being stoned) was hazy, so I didn’t get to see everything. The view from these two spots into the Jezreel Valley—where people think Armageddon will take place—still gave me a good perspective of the land. (My professor does not believe that the final battle will take place here, but rather in Jerusalem). It’s amazing how many OT stories have happened in this valley. Check out the story of Elisha bringing a boy from Shunem back to life in 2 Kings 4 and then check out Jesus’ miracle in Luke 7:11-17. Try to find the two towns that were mentioned on a Biblical map. Compare the locations. Have fun.
I also hiked the Arbel Pass on the way to the Sea of Galilee and got to swim in the sea twice. It is beautiful, especially in the spring I am told. Lush green, different then the rocky dry climate in the south. I visited the ruins of Hazor where Joshua burned the city to the ground, and I saw the city of Dan in the far north as well as Mount Hermon from a distance. It’s the tallest mountain peak in the north. Today you can down hill ski on the mountain. I want to at least go back and hike it. In Psalm 133 the dew of Hermon is depicted as oil coming down from the top of Aaron’s head onto his beard and even unto the edges of his clothes as far as the mountains of Zion in Jerusalem. It’s a picture of “brothers dwelling together in unity.” Jesus transfiguration is also thought to have taken place on the mountain. Where, who knows?
.
Steven Biel
.

2 comments:

Tony said...

Great article and I can't wait to check out Stephen's Blog.

Tony said...

Forgive me! I meant Steven's Blog.