Friday 6 April 2007

BARRINGTONS PIER


IS GOD A CATHOLIC ?


We are enjoying beautiful weather at the start of this Easter weekend, so much so that I was prompted to air my trusty peddle steed for the first time this year. None the worse for wear from a winter of neglect ,after a little unctioning with oil and a few pumps of air into the sagging tyres it was in fine working order.Pleasantly surprised that I am still able to propel this machine with relative ease I set off for the shop. While gathering up a few items my nose was assailed by that irresistible smell of the fry,and I bought a sausage and rasher from the deli counter.I extended my homeward journey by diverting down to the wetlands at Westfields,looking resplendent in the bright April sunshine. From the picture above you might be able to make out a green plastic bag tied to the handlebars of the bike,inside is my cooked sausage and rasher! Full of the joys of Spring and fortified by the thought of my impending repast I continued on my merry way right on to Barringtons Pier. Here I left the bike against the wall while I took in the beautiful scene about me...the boats filled with earnest rowers gliding down the river...the sunshine sparkling on the water...a jet streaked blue sky...and the grass at my feet festooned with golden-cupped daffodils! Into this Edenic garden skipped a golden labrador, like me giddy with the glory of the day. He barked playfully and jumped about adding to the general gaiety of the moment.At last I dragged myself away from the pier with a sharp edge to my appetite from the great outdoors ! As I cycled past Villiers school I looked down to notice my little green bag with my fry vitals was gone! Now I don't have any proof but I think circumstantial evidence would suggest that the golden labrador might be in some way involved in their disappearance. I realise some of my readers may be horrified that I would succumb to the indulgence of meat on a Good Friday, and the disappearance of my bag may have been a divine intervention. I don't think so...as I reflect I am convinced that this was not so much an act of God as an act of dog !

Gerard O'Shea

1 comment:

Tony said...

Such wit in the face of such loss, remarkable!