Wednesday 10 October 2007

A GOOD MORNING

Sunrise over Damascus

These Scriptures have been selected as a morning
meditation as one enters the Presence of the Lord


At The Start of the Day


Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation…(1)

Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD…. (2)

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint… (3)

Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favour and honour; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless. O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you… (4)

indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD watches over you— the LORD is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD will keep you from all harm— he will watch over your life; the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore… (5)


But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare. Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness. So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him.. (6)

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal... (7)


Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart… (8)


May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen. (9)



(1) Ps 5:1-3 (2) Lam 3:22-26 (3) Is 40:28-31 (4) Ps 84:10-12 (5) Ps 121:4-8
(6) 2 Ptr 3:10-14 (7) 2 Cor 4:16-18 (8) Heb 12:1-3 (9) Heb 13:20-21




What I do…as I enter His presence…


I lay my requests before you….Ps 5:3.……..Asking
It is good to wait quietly…Lam 3:26.…………Meditating
Our walk needs to be blameless…Ps 84:11.……Confessing
I should live a holy and godly life…2 Ptr 3:11.……Resolving
I must throw off everything that hinders …Dissolving
And the sin that so easily entangles…Heb 12:1.…..Renouncing
I must fix my eyes on Jesus…Heb12:2.……..Focusing
To whom (Jesus) be glory for ever and ever…Heb 13:21.……Praising


What God does…


The Lord will renew my strength…Is 40:31
The Lord will hear my voice…Ps 5:3
Gods compassion never fails…Lam3:22
No good thing does God witholdPs 84:11
The Lord watches over me…Ps 121:5
Inwardly I am being renewed day by day…2 Cor 4:16
May God work in me what is pleasing to Him through Jesus Christ
…Heb 13:21








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts. A great way to start the day