Saturday 17 November 2007

NIGHT PRAYER



A CHILD'S HYMN


Hear my prayer, O heavenly Father,

Ere I lay me down to sleep;

Bid Thy angels, pure and holy,

Round my bed their vigil keep.


My sins are heavy, but Thy mercy

Far outweighs them, every one;

Down before Thy cross I cast them,

Trusting in Thy help alone.


Keep me through this night of peril

Underneath its boundless shade;

Take me to Thy rest, I pray Thee,

When my pilgrimage is made.


None shall measure out Thy patience

By the span of human thought;

None shall bound the tender mercies

Which Thy Holy Son has bought.


Pardon all my past transgressions,

Give me strength for days to come;

Guide and guard me with Thy blessing

Till Thy angels bid me home.


Charles Dickens

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that's a child's prayer? I will say this one myself.

Keep going on the hymn explorations. I really enjoyed your last post on this subject.

Tony said...

Beautiful Prayer!