Thursday 20 December 2007

GOOD AFTERNOON TO YOU...

Joe Duffy, the presenter of 'Liveline'
.
ON THE RADIO

Earlier today my nerve-wreaked voice was aired over the national airwaves courtesy of Joe Duffy and the Liveline show. Joe presented a Seasonal programme where he invited poetic contributions from the listeners and I in a moment of post-wakeful abandonment phoned the researchers and did the phone audition. I read a poem that I wrote during the year ‘For John Moriarty’ and they rang me back for a second audition. They seemed suitably impressed and told me to wait by the phone for the call, live on air from Joe. I sent off a few texts to alert nearest and dearest to my imminent broadcast and made myself a hot cup of tea to sustain me for my beside-the-radio vigil. During the year John Moriarty had been interviewed by Joe on two occasions about his ongoing treatment for cancer and his absolute certainty about the continuation of life beyond death. I had also heard John speak at the Brendan Kennelly week-end in Ballylongford and it was out of these accumulated encounters that the poem was born.
Eventually after what seemed like an eternity of contributions by confident ‘chatty’ listeners my phone rang. The producer of the show put me on hold and within minutes the hallmark Liveline greeting from Joe rang in my ear…“Now we have Gerry O’Shea from Limerick…Good afternoon to you Gerry…” After mumbling a few words of explanation I read the poem and in a few minutes it was all over.At least my voice held up for the duration, despite my thumping heart and sweaty palms, isn’t it a wonder how talking to the nation from the safe anonymity of a telephone line can be such an ordeal?
Anyway now the poem is out there in the ether, and maybe it will resonate with a kindred heart who similarly was affected by the mystic musings of the late and lamented John Moriarty.

Gerard O'Shea


You can read the poem on my blog for June 5 , search under My Poems.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So it was a 'good afternoon ' for you then