Wednesday 19 December 2007

A STAR


Some time ago (see blog for Jully 20th) I shared a poem by Louis Hemmings from whom I had not heard in an age. All hail the power of the Internet, Louis was alerted to the blog and kindly got in touch. As he is now married (for the last 22 years!!) with two children, I feel severely aged and locked firmly in real time and space! The upside though is that he gave me some links to more of his poetry , and this one seemed appropriate to the Season that is upon us. Louis preambles the verse with some childhood memories...GOSh.




SING TO ME



My parents started a hand weaving company called Donegal Design, in 1951. The fabric woven was mohair, a silk-like wool which is both light & warm. I was born in 1957 & was immersed in vibrant colours, fabrics, books & records. As well as the piano, a Pilot valve radio & mono record player, there were many LP’s & 78’s, both jazz & classical. There was no TV in our house; it came & went within weeks because homework was not being done. One of earliest fond memories is of Christmas. My mother would retrieve a special decorative Christmas lampshade from the attic. It was in the shape of a large star, orange-red coloured with many pinpricks to let the white light seep out.....

I ache for that long-lost Advent-light,
guiding me from distant childhood.
Each December it was dusted down,
hung over the bulb & hallowed the hall.
It recalled the Magis’ Star, that once
hovered over that ramshackle stable.

Deep orange star-shape; glow – burn on.
Scorch my heart with your affection.
See that cosy cosmos, pin-pricked light
seeping through the patterned sieve.
O, Shekinah-presence, relight deep wonder in me!


Louis Hemmings


No comments: